24 April 2012
Silver Spoon launches new 'the only sugar grown in Britain' packaging
Leading sugar brand, Silver Spoon, has launched 'the only sugar grown in Britain' as the new strapline for its range of homegrown sugars.
Reflecting the growing trend to 'buy local', Silver Spoon has introduced the new design for its bags of Granulated, Caster and Icing Sugars, which will help consumers easily indentify 'The only sugar grown in Britain'. These can be seen in retail now.
Tony Lucas, Silver Spoon Marketing Director said: "Our new pacaking shows Silver Spoon sugar's support of Britain's sugar beet growes. It also highlights the world-class, advanced and sustainable manufacturing processes of a sector which provides jobs for 13,000 people across Eastern England.
Silver Spoon was first launched in 1972, and became the nation's favourite sugar in 1978. This year the homegrown sugar industry is celebrating 100 years.
We hope all our customers, both old and new, will keep an eye out in the sugar aisle where Silver Spoon's British presence will hopefully be ever more prominent."
Silver Spoon will be supporting the launch of their new pack designs through various activities. They will be launching a new website which will provide information about how sugar is grown in the UK and also plan to have a display at various agricultural events. Silver Spoon will also be entering their third year of sponsorship of Bury in Bloom, a horticultural campaign that takes place in Bury St Edmunds; the home of Silver Spoon sugar.
Notes to Editors
For more information, samples or images, please contact:
Silver Spoon Assistant Brand Manager
t: 01733 422804
- Silver Spoon is part of the Silver Spoon Company which comprises of a portfolio of leading UK brands including Aliison, Askeys, Billington's, Crusha and Silver Spoon. The Silver Spoon Company also partner as exclusive distributors for Nielsen Massey Vanillas and Truvia®.
- Silver Spoon is the number one supplier to the UK retail sugar and sweetener market and is a major supplier to the food service market. Our core sugar range comes from British farms and from field to spoon, our sugar travels fewer miles than any other to reach consumers. We make our products with concern not just for the quality of the sugar but also our impact on the environment.
- The Silver Spoon brand was launch in 1972 as the retail arm of British Sugar. By 1978, Silver Spoon was the country's biggest selling sugar brand.
- All of Silver Spoon's white granulated and baking sugars are homegrown in East Anglia. The sugar beet we use travels a short distance (an average of only 28 miles) direct from the fields around Bury St Edmunds. We work with and support 1,200 East Anglian beet farmers in Bury St Edmunds.
- Along with our granulated and baking sugars range, we have a number of lower calorie sugar and sweeteners including Half Spoon, which has all the taste and texture of regular sugar with half the calories.
- To reduce our impact on the environment, we are working closely with the Carbon Trust and are Red Tractor certified by Assured Food Standards.
- The Silver Spoon Company is part of Associated British Foods plc, a diversified international food, ingredients and retail group with sales of £11.1 billion across 46 countries world wide.
- For more information on Silver Spoon visit www.silverspoon.co.uk or visit the Silver Spoon Company's one-stop-shop for baking, www.bakingmad.com.